Thursday, June 3, 2010

Caleb's Prayer that Made God Smile

Tonight will be etched in my memory forever because Caleb asked Jesus to come into his heart. He told me a few days ago that he wanted to say the prayer to become a Christian, but we were in the car and I told him to wait until we were at home. This afternoon he came to me again and said that he really wanted to pray to Jesus and become a Christian. It caught me off guard, but I sat down and explained to him how serious his decision was and what it all meant. I told him he needed to wait until Daddy got home and he just begged me to help him do it right then! I persuaded him to wait, so this evening when Daddy got home, Caleb was ready to ask Jesus into his heart.


A while ago, my mom got Caleb a wonderful book about becoming a Christian. It is called "The Prayer that Makes God Smile." It explains really well all that it means to ask Jesus into his heart in way that a child can understand. At the end of the book there is a prayer, along with a place for the child to write his name and the date that he became a Christian. Caleb listened very intently as I read the book and when it came time for him to say the prayer to ask Jesus into his heart, he had a huge smile on his face. He told us he was really ready, so he got on his hands and knees and asked Jesus into his heart. After the prayer, he signed his name.


I know he is still really young, but he seems to understand what it all means. Russ and I are so proud of him and this decision that he made completely on his own. As a parent, this gives me such a sense of peace knowing that my child is now a Christian! Not only has this prayer made God's heart smile, it made our hearts smile too :) I know that God has a bright future for Caleb!








6 comments:

Donna said...

YEA! How sweet!!! I know you and Russ are so happy and so proud! I'm happy! How nice that you had time with just Caleb this week--God knew it and gave you this special time with just him:) I love the picture of him with his book and his HUGE smile on his face. What a special night!!

Elizabeth said...

Jessica,
What wonderful news! There was a party in heaven tonight. I am so excited for Caleb and know he will grow to be a warrior for the Lord. He has "plans to prosper him and not to harm him, plans to give him a hope and a future." Hallelujah!

Chrystal said...

Oh Jessica, how sweet! I'm so proud of him and thankful for the ways God has worked in his little heart. What an great reflection of what awesome parents you and Russ are too! :)

Chelle said...

I am sobbing happy tears right now and I know you are thrilled. I never truly understood it before I became a parent, but there is truly no greater joy than to see your precious child ask Jesus into his heart. I can't wait for my turn and I'm rejoicing with you for yours!

The Gaymons said...

So sweet! We are rejoicing with you guys!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. I am so happy for all of you, Mom, dad and especially for Caleb.
<><, Kathy Oliver