Monday, September 24, 2007

Prayer

If you are reading our blog, then I ask that you please say a prayer for our sweet Caleb. He started stuttering about 1 month ago. At first, we just laughed at it and thought that it was just a phase that he would soon get over. It actually sounded cute at times and it didn't effect him at all. We just thot it was as a result of all of the changes that have happened in his life, especially welcoming a new baby into his home. After about 2 weeks of stuttering, it started to change. He was aware that he was stuttering, so he wanted to stop. Instead of stuttering now, he just pushes really hard to get the first word of a sentence out. It makes his face get red and his voice get really loud. After he gets the first word out, then the rest of the sentence is ok. Russ has taught him to try to relax, blow a breath out and try to speak softer and slower. This does seem to help him some, but then he is speaking so softly it is hard to understand him. It does seem to come and go. We have noticed that it tends to bother him more when he is tired or when Russ is out of town. The past 2 days it has been really bad. He gets very frustrated when he can't get his words out and it is heart wrenching to watch. It has brought me to tears twice because he seems to be struggling so much to talk. We just have to be very patient, let him have time to get it out, and not finish his sentences for him. Let me tell you, this is very hard! We have noticed that it has started affecting how much he is talking. He has been very verbal and we really don't want this to hinder his communication. He has even started pointing at things because trying to talk takes too much effort. I spoke with our pediatrician Dr. Baker ( who is absolutely wonderful!) and he thinks we should get Caleb started in speach therapy. He says that when the stuttering starts to affect a child's self-esteem, makes him frustrated to talk and makes him start talking less, then he needs to get some help. Russ and I agree with Dr. Baker and want to do the best thing for our child. He is so bright and so verbal, that we don't want anything to interfere with that. Please pray that Caleb will get over this soon. Please pray that this is just a phase and will pass quickly. Pray that Russ and I will have the patience to hear him out. Pray that we will make the right decision about how to treat this. It is hard to know if we should just give it more time to work out on it's own, or if we should get Caleb some proffessional help. How blessed we are to have a God who listen's and answers the prayers of His children.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Hey, Jessica. I just read this post today. I teared up just reading it! I agree with Dr. Baker...if it's affecting his normal behavior, I'd do speech therapy, too. I will definitely keep sweet Caleb in my prayers.